Marine Gas Oil (MGO) Coolers
Since 2005, marine traffic must adhere to official regulations for Low Sulphur marine fuel oil. FARAD has the solution for this requirement! Farad’s excellent know-how in the design and production of marine tubular heat exchangers now offers fast, reliable and affordable solutions, when switching to low sulphur fuel is required.
What is the problem?
A ship’s fuel oil injection system may not be designed to use low sulphur fuel oil (low viscosity). Fuel viscosity, combustion quality and lubricity are some of the operational challenges. Fuel oil injection components are going to be affected and deteriorate. Therefore, fuel oil systems on board have to be modified. Because of the lower viscosity of marine gas oil, the lubrication requirements of the engine manufacturer may not be met. In most marine diesel engines, the viscosity of the fuel needs to be at least 2.0 cSt. At normal temperatures, the viscosity of MGO varies between 1-2 cSt, which means that sufficient engine lubrication can no longer be guaranteed. The viscosity can be improved with additives, but this is relatively costly. However, there is a much more affordable solution. FARAD knows how!
FARAD’s MGO cooling unit: Solves the problem
In order to meet the individual needs of our clients, FARAD maintains a wide range of tubular heat exchangers such as Turbo charger Air Coolers, Oil Coolers, Water Coolers, all kinds of Heaters, Steam and Freon Condensers, Evaporators, serving clients worldwide.
The solution offered by FARAD is simple, compact and reliable. An MGO cooling unit needs to be installed in the fuel oil system in order to reduce the temperature of the MGO, and therefore, increase viscosity. Our MGO cooling unit chills to as low as 17 degrees Celsius, so that the viscosity and lubricity meet the requirements of the engine manufacturers.
FARAD’s MGO cooling unit solution for any type of engine covers the planning, all required technical equipment, and alteration work. If preferred, the whole process can be carried out on a turnkey basis.
The Advantages of FARAD’s MGO Cooling Units:
- MGO Cooler Unit designed and manufactured by FARAD SA Heat Exchangers, for easy and fast installation and long service in heavy marine conditions
- All−in−One Unit, ready for connection on fuel line, and power supply
- The design and construction are approved by all leading Classification Societies. Certification must be stated at time of order.
- Minimal footprint due to sophisticated compact design
- Suitable for new builds as well as existing vessels
- Capacity control with a temperature step controller for MGO temperature adjustment. MGO temperature control is fully automatically.
- Simple electric panel design with PLC for easy maintenance
- Large-size suction accumulator prevents compressor damage from a sudden surge of liquid refrigerant
Main components list of Marine Gas Oil cooling unit
- Electric panel with PLC
- Freon Condenser
- Freon Evaporator – Chiller
- Marine Gas Oil cooler
- Freon motor-compressor
- Expansion valve, solenoid valve, filter
- Large size suction accumulator for Freon
- Chilled water Pump
- Chilled water expansion tank
- Safety devices
- 3-way valve
- Safety valve
- Automatic filling valve
- Automatic air vents